Absinthe was a metalcore band from Tucson, Arizona. Forming after the dissolution of the seminal and influential early 90s band Groundwork, Absinthe quickly set out to rip and tear through the Arizona hardcore scene, leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. Featured on the legendary (and somewhat newly revived) label King Of The Monsters, Absinthe had big shoes to fill from their conception, but they had no issue doing so. Absinthe came out swinging with their 1995 10" release and topped that with an incredibly solid 7" two years later in 1997. Despite their impressive background and killer lineup of releases, I still find them to be quite underrated in the grand scheme of things. Maybe if Absinthe ended up doing the planned split 7" with Minneapolis's Disembodied, one of the heaviest bands of the 90s, they would have gotten the recognition they deserved. Absinthe is one of the bands I'm most hoping to see reissued by King Of The Monsters, along with blog favourite Puritan. If you are a fan of political metalcore like Groundwork, Morning Again, and Unbroken; I can't recommend Absinthe enough. This is the kind of music I'd like to see making a comeback in the modern scene. I'm getting a bit sick of apolitical bands that have the same old sound, nothing to say, and nothing to contribute to their communities. Hardcore is more than music.
(fresh 10" rip coming soon)
Absinthe 7" 1997
Absinthe 10" 1995

No comments:
Post a Comment