1/04/2024

I Hate Sex - Discography (2015-2018)

My photo!

    I Hate Sex was a indie-rock/screamo band from Edmonton, Alberta. Despite this being a newer band, I just felt like writing this post for them was a necessity; as they were my first exposure to more abrasive "emo" music and they were an extremely prolific Alberta band, that I grew up seeing many times. 

    In their 3 tumultuous active years I Hate Sex released 2 albums and a variety of split and compilation tracks, touring as far off as Japan and containing a revolving cast of band members. Lead singer Nicole Boychuck was the only founding member to remain with the band throughout its short but incredible run. I Hate Sex was my first exposure to this wonderful, weird little genre people call "screamo"; in the summer between the 10th and 11th grade I went to go see I Hate Sex as they were playing on the roof of a local dive bar. I could hear Nicole shrieking from 3 blocks away from that bar as we approached and I immediately knew that I would enjoy this band. Her vocals are shrill, strained and completely unique they stand out as one of the best screamo vocal performances of recent years.

My video from I Hate Sex's last show in Calgary

    I Hate Sex started off as a very strong emocore- influenced indie band and eventually progressed to having their own completely unique and original take on the genre. Their final album "World Of Grief" is my favourite album by them; it is often overshadowed by Circle Thinking but I think the band really matured and thrived on those recordings. I remember Nicole telling me at their last show in Calgary that "World Of Grief" was a total flop when it first came out and it really surprised me.

    I Hate Sex expertly melds twinkling guitars and "midwest" attributes with gut wrenching screams and introspective lyrics. The kind of bizarre name "I Hate Sex" is in reference to Nicole's asexuality, which is nice because I never really see asexuals represented in the emo/ hardcore scenes, despite them being venues that regularly discuss sexuality. Anyways, I love I Hate Sex and it's great to see them get the widespread recognition they deserve.   


Circle Thinking 2015 (Pint-Sized Records)

World Of Grief LP 2017 (Dog Knights Records)

Low Level / I Hate Sex Split Tape 2016 (Chainsaw To The Bass)

3-way Split Tape 2016 (Never Better Records)

5-way Split Tape 2016 (Rubaiyat Records)

Demo Tape 2015 (Driftwood Tapes)

No comments: