9/03/2024

Gaffer - Discography (1998-2004)


     Gaffer was a math-rock band from Kitchener, Ontario. I've been on a deep dive through Toronto's Teenage USA Recordings catalog recently and there are a lot of good artists I have been sleeping on, Gaffer might just be the best of the bunch. Sprouting out of the same Ontario scene that produced bands like Smallmouth and Pecola, Gaffer was a math-rock force to be reckoned with. I could compare them to bands like Barrel and Slint, and I sound like a broken record here but, Gaffer had a totally unique sound. The band was driven and angry, possibly taking some influence from Drive Like Jehu as well as Louisville bands like Slint and Rodan; while still maintaining that erratic post-rock sound that was prevalent in the Ontario scene at the time. I highly recommend giving the 1998 CD a spin, its a real trip.


Snow Falls Like Stars CD 1998 (Teenage USA)

Ending Again CD 2001 (Antiantenna)

The Dead Animal CDEP 2004

No comments: