5/17/2023

Floodgate - Discography (1993-1995)

    Floodgate was a hardcore band from Santa Cruz, California. Floodgate, like Embassy, was a band that toured and collaberated with much more popular bands of the era but never got the lasting recognition they deserved. I've held off from making this post for a while because I was never sure if I could properly express how amazing this band is. They are probably my favourite "emocore" band ever.
    Floodgate mixed classic, driving hardcore with new school hardcore and the emerging "emo" style of the time. They existed during the heyday of the D.I.Y hardcore scene (93-95) and were on some very influential labels like Ebullition, Youth Strike Chord and No Idea. 
    Floodgate had an inspiring and powerful sound, with guitarist/vocalist Andrew Gilbert (also of The Fisticuffs Bluff and Loomis Slovak) creating catchy and grooving riffs over some impressive bass lines and drum beats. Andrew wrote some really great lyrics about life and the struggles everyone goes through on a day to day basis; his voice ranged from calm and focused to shrieking and spine chilling. 
I love this band to bits.

    Floodgate had a demo titled "Drawn & Quartered". It has yet to surface online so if you have better pictures or a rip PLEASE contact me!


Troubles A Brewin' 12" 1993 (Ebullition)

ST 7" 1993 (Youth Strike Chord)

I Choose Danger 2x7" 1995 (No Idea)

Drawn & Quartered Demo 1993(?)

Education Compilation 1995 (MTNCIA)

Bread The Edible Napkin CD 1997 (No Idea)

Salad Bowl Theory CD 1996

No comments: