5/02/2023

Nuzzle / My Friend Chopper Split 7" (1993)


    Nuzzle was a Santa Cruz based punk band that later became associated with the emo scene of the 1990s, including bands like The Fisticuff's Bluff, Evergreen and Unwound. The band was active between 1992 to 2001 and during this time released two full length LPs, two 7" EPs, a split 7" with My Friend Chopper and a compilation CD of their singles from 1992-95. 

    There isn't much information on My Friend Chopper available online but they did share a drummer, Ricardo Reano, with Nuzzle. Reano played in both bands simultaneously before leaving My Friend Chopper and staying with Nuzzle. Their only recorded track is the song on their split with Nuzzle to my knowledge, but they had a quite similar sound to Nuzzle, especially their more indie/emo sounding tracks. 

    The Nuzzle / My Friend Chopper split features Nuzzle's song "Bencht" which mixes soft instrumentals and vocals with louder riffs and almost-yelled vocals similar in sound to The Crownhate Ruin. My Friend Chopper's song on the split, "Local 39" sounds like it could be a Nuzzle track, but goes more for an evenly paced indie rock feel. Nuzzle has a pretty diverse sound across their discography, with some songs sounding a lot more on the punk side and some much more indie rock but all tinged with the distinct emo sound of the time. 

From Rick Reano:

    My friend chopper was a band I played with along side the nuzzle dudes. I eventually left chopper and stayed w nuz. My friend chopper turned into the excellent Dave, Gabe y Gary @fgaryhauser This split is the only recorded chopper I know of.

Nuzzle track

My Friend Chopper track

Nuzzle / My Friend Chopper - Bencht / Local 39 split 7" 1993 (Not on Label)

No comments: