5/31/2023

Jazz Man's Needle - Discography (1994-1996)


    Jazz Man's Needle was a hardcore/math rock band from Williamsport, Pennsylvania. They perfected the angular, moody and emotional style of hardcore that was popular in Pennsylvania at the time (I Am Heaven, Seraphim, Elements Of Need etc..). Jazz Man's Needle had a host of dark, spidery and explosive songs in their discography and they are one of my favourite hidden gems of the 90s D.I.Y hardcore scene. The songs "Sheep" (from the Mayfly Comp CD) and "Untitled" (from the BDS split) are regular mixtape go-to's for me. I really love the diversity of the bands on both of the CD comps they are featured on.


    Information on this band is incredibly scarce and I rarely hear anyone mention them, which is a shame, I wish more people would give them the time of day. One of my earliest blind buys, when I first started collecting this stuff, turned out to be the excellent Big Daddy Shotgun / Jazz Man's Needle split; it was one of the first records that I digitally transferred and put up on youtube because I could not find the Jazz Man's Needle track anywhere online.


    There is a few things that I would like to get clarified about them, the JMN side of their split 12" with Boy Sets Fire seems to only have 3 full tracks instead of the named 5; 2 seem to be partial live tracks or tracks from the demo tape. The one song from that 12" thats on their labels compilation CD has a different name on the 12" (It's named "Of Human Bondage" on the CD and "Dog" on the 12"). I am still looking for a good, clean rip of the JMN side of that Boy Sets Fire Split; it's a shame that the split's price has been so blown out of proportion online because of the popularity of Boy Sets Fire. Jazz Man's Needle is such a sonically intricate and interesting band that deserves to have their material available online in decent quality. 

    I was searching for the demo for a long time and it has just popped up on Apple Music of all places, with extra tracks, maybe the members of the band are finally working on distributing their music? One can only hope. I really hate this trend of random people putting music that they don't own on streaming for profit. If anyone can do some online music pirating wizardry and get me that demo release in FLAC, I'd appreciate it.

    Anyways, if anyone knows more about this band, has live footage or has contact info for the members, let me know!


BSF Split 12" 1996 (Cascade / Conquer The World) 

BDS Split 7" 1996 (Da Capo Al Fine)

Demo 1994 (Self - Released)

Mayfly Comp CD 1995 (Mayfly)

The Importance Of Failing Comp CD 1997 (Monstro)

No comments: