3/12/2023

Hinge - Discography (1993-1994)

    Hinge were a political hardcore / punk band from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Their sound is quite similar to Downcast or even Spitboy but they garnered far less attention in their short lived active period. Their mix of more classic sounding hardcore punk with just a tinge of emo is one of my personal favourite combinations. 

    I initially discovered them after picking up their 1994 7" at a local store (Turn It Up or Recordland I believe?), because of the booklet that comes with it. The booklet immediately got my attention because of its content. It includes the lyrics to the songs and some artwork both of which are about colonization and the destruction of Indigenous peoples and culture. From there I eventually got my hands on their demo tape which made me love them even more. 

    You can really hear the genuine passion and anger within each of Hinge's songs and amidst their politically driven lyrics and feel how much their cared about the issues they raise which is another thing that makes me really appreciate the band. Despite only being active for about a year, Hinge's music really stands out to me as some of the best emo-influenced punk of the 90s that definitely deserves some more attention. 

Discography

Meaning 7" (1994)

Solitude Demo (1993)

No comments: