3/28/2023

Son Of The Castellan - Six CD (1998)

    Son Of The Castellan was a post-hardcore band based in Blacksburg, Virginia who were active in the mid to late 1990s and only released one CD EP during this time. 

    The band's sound has a lot of evident influences, including the stylized post-hardcore sound of Hoover and Regulator Watts as well as the distinct mathy post-rock sound of Slint. Their mix of slow instrumentals, half spoken vocals and high energy screamed choruses mix together in a very satisfying way. Their songs sound like a meld of a bunch of things you've heard before, however the more I listen, the more I appreciate their work. There's a certain groove to their songs that I find always gets stuck in my head.

    Son Of The Castellan seemed to be well on their way to creating their own sound, despite their clear inspiration from other bands, it's really a shame that they only released one EP before splitting up. It can be hard to find a balance in post-hardcore sometimes, mixing the right amount of hardcore with the right amount of post-rock, but Son Of The Castellan definitely pulls it off.

"Six" CD EP

Six EP CD 1998 (Shed Kitty)

5 comments:

coreysaun said...

I'm amazed that you found this! My friends Greg and Daniel were in this band. Here's my FLAC rip. Greg was also in a hardcore band called Orchard and Daniel had some other projects. Blacksburg had a lot of stuff going on in the '90s and 2000s. LMK if you want some info and links! Oh, and I can scan the cover art soon.

https://mega.nz/file/oq0BxSJL#hXHKsLJIvfO5usegzCy-PyU8H-ZtZ9rUg0whYq-bRQk

ben said...

Thank you for this as well! I'd love some more info/links about the blacksburg scene if you have them

coreysaun said...

I see y'all already have Ramona Forever files in your collection. They had a split with A Thousand Never Enough (later Marion Delgado) from nearby Roanoke, VA. That's on YT but it's in my list of things to rip.

Then there's Stigma Rock Unit (later Stigma) who had a great EP and an album. Also on YT but I can rip that as well. I think one member was later in a version of Order of the Dying Orchid.

Live Orchard video (singer of Son of the Castellan). I don't have the demo tape but I do have the files somewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08bkl7qBCyc

ben said...

Awesome can't wait to check it all out! Let me know if you find the files for that demo!

coreysaun said...

Orchard demo:
https://orchard.bandcamp.com/album/demo-remastered